Hoverboard Fires - What caused them?

Discussion in 'Hoverboard News' started by JDBash, Dec 2, 2015.

1. JDBash

JDBash Administrator Staff Member

Hey everybody,

While we work on an article about the recent hoverboard fires, I just thought I'd post here to clarify just why these fires happened.

The short version is that a few vendors from China are using refurbished batteries in their boards to lower their costs and increase the profit margins. What this means is that some of the battery packs are bad. While charging, some of the cells might short and catch fire.

As far as we know so far, only 6.5-inch wheel hoverboards have been found with the defective battery packs, and they all come from a couple of bad vendors.

[UPDATE] New article is up here: http://bestelectrichoverboard.com/s...rboards-exploding-which-hoverboards-are-safe/
  2. pkz

pkz New Member

So how are you supposed to know who the bad vendors are? i'm afraid to buy one at all now. even on amazon, the negative reviews are about getting a different brand/sticker in just about every model i've looked at
  3. JDBash

If you wanna be absolutely certain that you're getting a good one, you can get the Razor Hovertrax here: http://amzn.to/1R28KBS
    They're a well-known American company and they only use quality components. Problem is, I'm not sure they'd ship before Christmas..
  4. pkz

pkz New Member

sweet! it's for me, so no rush for xmas. thanks for the head's up!
    JDBash likes this.
  5. Jenny

Jenny New Member

I already ordered a hover board, I ordered it from Hoverboard 360, on there website! I'm really concerned as I've seen nothing about a Hoverboard 360? I had already ordered it and then started seeing all the concerns! Do you know anything about this board? I paid $398. I don't want it starting on fire or exploding on my daughter! Thanks!
    JDBash likes this.
  6. JDBash

Hi Jenny,

While we have no experience with their products specifically, on their FAQ page here, it says they use only CE certified chargers. Which means the charging cut-off mechanism should be solid, and the boards shouldn't have any problems.
    If you're still unsure, you can always send them a quick email and ask what battery they use. If it's a Samsung, or any other certified battery, that's good news too.

Hope this helps!
  7. Jenny

Jenny New Member

Thanks so much, I think I read on their website that they use Samsung and LG batteries? Should it say CE on the actual board as well? This is a helpful site, I was really nervous about giving this to my daughter! Thanks again!
    JDBash likes this.
  8. Suzanne

Suzanne New Member

Thank you for the information on hoverboards / Self balancing scooters (SBC). It seems the news is so blowing this out of proportion, as they usually do. My husband completely over reacted and wanted to throw away my daughter's SBC we bought on Amazon. She was so upset because she had waited 6 weeks for the thing and had so much fun on it. As an ice skater, she has gotten so good on the thing and can do so many tricks, she was devastated. I said lets just wait and see what happens with all the hype. I was very happy to read your post. I figure if the battery was defective it would have gone in the first week??? I am going to replace the charger as you recommended in your article about hover board fires but can I also replace the actual battery to give me peace of mind? Can you suggest a battery and where to purchase?
    JDBash likes this.
  9. JDBash

Hi Suzanne, it's totally understandable..
    I'd say that, as long as the charger is good, the hoverboard has been charged a few times without a hitch, and care is taken to avoid dropping the hoverboard itself, you should be totally fine.
    Replacing the battery, while not super hard, is probably more likely to cause problems than to solve them.
    Also, the battery pack has a weird shape, specific to the hoverboard, and reputable hoverboard manufacturers don't sell components straight to customers. So, overall, I would definitely NOT recommend replacing the battery.

Though I've never seen this happen, the only case that should even remotely be considered is if you notice the board's battery has swollen or changed shape (which I don't even know if it'd be apparent through the plastic case).

EDIT: For extra peace of mind there are extended warranties and insurances from external companies, which would just replace the hoverboard in case of any problem. So that'd be my suggestion. No one other than someone with experience should be handling a swollen/defective Lithium Ion battery.
    If you wanna read more about the extended plans, check out this article: http://bestelectrichoverboard.com/s...-accessories/the-best-hoverboard-accessories/
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    Steve J. likes this.
  10. Steve J.

Steve J. New Member

I'm glad I found this forum. I purchased two hoverboards for my kids and at the time there was only a news report of one hoverboard catching fire. Between the time that I ordered and the time they were received 10 more reports came in. As I know the news exaggerates everything for shock value I am still a bit concerned.

The boards were purchased from Amazon from a seller called "Kash Technology" for 400 dollars each. I tried sending messages to Kash asking for a risk factor but they haven't responded. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any issues with these boards.

The boards are still in the box and will be placed under the tree for Xmas.

I can't even check the specs of the board anymore because Amazon removed the product from their website. I do plan to order a certified UL charger regardless.
  11. Steve J.

Steve J. New Member

Well, the strange/frustrating thing about the Amazon reviews (positive & negative) is that 99% of them are from non-verified Amazon purchasers.
    JDBash likes this.
  12. JDBash

True. With all the ruckus over the fires though, Amazon is taking action. So, soon, at least we'll know that any of the hoverboards there are at least safe from a battery fire..
  13. Judy

Judy New Member

I purchased the item in this box, and I see it has what appears to be a CE on the box. Would this indicate it might be safer? Thanks.

Attached Files:

JDBash likes this.
  14. JDBash

Unfortunately it's hard to say, as some boxes were printed with the CE symbols despite not actually being certified.. If you wanna be absolutely sure you're safe, you can get a third party certified charger. Check out this article.
    selly xie likes this.